THE INDEPENDENT DIRECTOR
22-23 February 2017,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Having truly independent directors serve on boards of private or public companies has become “best practice.” As evidenced in all the governance scandals, the importance of independence has become even more critical. Independence allows a board director to be objective and evaluate the performance and well-being of the company without any conflict of interest or the undue influence of interested parties. The regulatory environment is evolving rapidly and there is a heightened focus on the role and responsibilities of the board of directors as custodians of stakeholders’ interests. Increasingly regulators are insisting on the need for independent board directors because of the important role they play.
This 2 day interactive workshop will cover:
• The role of Independent Directors
• The regulatory requirements for Independent Non-Executive Directors
• Fiduciary duties including duties to shareholders
• Director’s duties, responsibilities and liabilities
• Board composition and the role of the Board
• The role of the chairman, the executive directors, management and the board secretary
• The Board’s legal environment
• Corporate governance best practices
• Keys to personal effectiveness, and managing power and politics in the boardroom
• Effective Board practices and board committees
Facilitator – Dr Chris Pierce
Dr Pierce is the CEO of Global Governance Services Ltd. He works with policy makers, directors and boards in Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East, the US and South America. Prior to becoming CEO, he was the Director of Professional Standards and Development at the Institute of Directors (IoD) in the UK. He has also held senior management positions in the Overseas Development Administration, British Airways and Leeds Business School. Over the last fifteen years Chris has worked as an advisor to the boards of many of the largest listed companies, banks, sovereign wealth funds, stock exchanges and financial institutions around the World. He has chaired the World Bank Corporate Governance Code Development Workshops for the Middle East and Northern Africa (MENA) on a number of occasions in Egypt and Jordan.
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is suitable for senior board directors, board secretaries or C Suite Executives
who sit on a Board or a Board Committee.
Price per person USD 4000 for 2 day workshop
Special rates are available for companies wishing to purchase multiple seats – please ask us for more information.
All participants who complete our workshops also currently receive free membership of GCC Board Directors Institute for one year.